January 20, 1861
John Hermodius Thurmond and W. D. Johnson from the Medina Baptist Church in Atascosa County (now Somerset Baptist Church) led in the organization of First Baptist Church of San Antonio. Shortly after, the long, bloody struggle of the Civil War took a toll on the male worshipers. As a result, the new church struggled and almost went out.

After much heroic effort, a house of worship was completed at the corner of Travis and Jefferson Streets.

After numerous changes in pastoral leadership, the church was reorganized, healthy growth was was made in mission offerings around the city, and the need for a larger worship space was needed to accommodate the growing congregation in this emerging city.

Enrollment in Sunday class offerings reached 1500 adults and children. The rapidly expanding educational programs pointed to the need for additional space in which to worship and hold classes. Property was purchased at the corner of Fourth and Taylor streets and a small house of worship was built here.

First services were held in the new Sanctuary on October 11, 1925, and worship continues in this space at 515 McCullough Avenue even today.